R.I.P. Elliott Charnow 1942-2010...Oscar Peterson, "There Will Never Be Another You"

Elliott, there will never be another you...I want to imagine that you and Oscar are now jamming up a storm and that there's plenty of ice and Scotch whiskey there.



Few people make a dent so large and deep in the lives of people as did Elliott Charnow. Those of us who knew him as music teacher and mentor are now reflecting on all of the significant contributions he made to us. Personally, I would not be at all who I am today, nor would my children without this wonderful man.
It is not only through his musical influence and guidance that we were blessed, but his ability to convey humor and insight to all who knew him. His extraordinary wit and charm made learning and playing music a joyful experience, one that was exponentially gratifying. There was not one person under his
tutelage who did not strive to perform to the best of their ability under his baton. He raised the bar for excellence and treated us, mere teenagers, as professionals.


Expecting us to be on time, learn the music and perform as a cohesive group, Elliott provided us important lessons that we continue to carry through our lives, regardless if we became professional musicians, teachers, insurance salesmen or housewives.


I will always think about Elliott as Mr. Charnow, the man who gave me and so many others a chance. As a freshman at Castro Valley High School, I was nearly hopeless as a violin player. I was so bad that after the first rehearsal, I went home and told my parents I was quitting. They didn't give a hoot about my feelings and told me to get my butt back in there. So I did, and after a few months of watching and listening to Mr. Charnow, I must have done something right, because he commented on it. After that, I was a devotee and worked hard to play for the first time in my life. I tell you that from my perspective, but I know that there were umpteen similar stories in that orchestra, band, jazz band, string ensembles, etc. Elliott made us all feel that he was listening to each one of us.
Castro Valley High School Jazz Band, First Place Reno Jazz Festival 1969


One of the most loving and generous gestures was when Elliott lent me his father's treasured violin to take to Atlantic City for the Miss America Pageant. All Pomp and Circumstance aside, it meant so much to me, including carrying around that awesome crocodile violin case! He told me to be sure to put cymbals between my knees and strap on a pair of maracas to really impress the judges! We had a good laugh when it turned out the other violinist, Miss Oklahoma (two violinists???) in the competition was playing "Hot Canary" in a screaming, bright yellow feathered gown! I NEVER stood a chance!

Elliott was one in a 100 million and there will never again be such a man. We all carry a piece of him with us and hopefully we can try in imbue those qualities to the next generation.





Comments

Anonymous said…
Karin here I am at 11:50pm on New Year's Eve reflecting on this past year and I read your comments about Mr Charnow. While I teared up I feel truly blessed that for him we got to play together again. I know he love love loved it that we(you & me) got to play with Gary. I love you. Kathie Davis Blair

Popular posts from this blog

Hey, Norman! How ‘Bout Us? by Karin Kascher

The Bitch Is Back!