Depression Cooking with Clara
Whenever I hear that we're heading for the next Great Depression I wonder how this generation will cope. Listen and watch as 93 year-old Clara Cannucciari teaches us how to cook a typical meal from her Great Depression family kitchen and recants her stories of the struggles and joys that she experienced as a child.
Clara's webblog
Clara's webblog
If you enjoyed this cooking lesson, check out her other videos, which were filmed by her grandson Christopher Cannucciarri. Her Sicilian Christmas (Cucidati Fig &Nut) cookie episode and her Poor Man's Feast are especially wonderful. With each video Clara sprinkles her cooking with nuggets of wisdom and honesty about the hardships of those years, yet she remains joyful and delighted to share these treasured recipes and memories. What a wonderful spirit!
You can also listen to this song, Blue Moon, written by Rodgers & Hart in 1933 and performed by the great jazz violinist Stéphane Grappelli in 1990, with Martin Taylor on guitar and John Burr on string bass. Talk about cookin'!
Comments
"We ate potatoes and pasta during the depression, but we all survived" and "That's all we ate, pasta and vegetables." That and the use of olive oil rather than all-American lard, are probably the reasons Clara is so healthy in mind and body at her age!
I agree that the olive oil is probably the secret ingredient to her sharp and witty persona. I love her Christmas Cookie video where she bakes with her grand daughters-or are they her great-grand-daughters? She is a pip!