repost from 2007- The New Year! Here's to Sloth, Drunkenness and Gluttony

As the New Year approaches, I'm fashioning the resolutions which are made by so many of us, with the best of intentions and the least amount of hope for completion. What lofty promises shall I attempt this year?  Hmmm... perhaps I'll exercise more (that'll be easy, since I exercise zero at the present time) lose 20 pounds (need to get rid of my armour-plated bra and jewel-encrusted tiara), procure a fulfilling job ( no comment), be nicer, more patient and less crabby (oh, yeah!), save more money for retirement (that would be another zero), see the dentist more often, follow through on projects....jeez, those all seem so very unglamorous and daunting!  How does one go about making reasonable promises to one's self?  It's so much easier to continue the routine of sloth, drunkenness and gluttony.

So, here's my 2008 No-Fail Resolution Plan:  What if I promise not to exert myself more than necessary (perspiring can be so, well, sweaty), spend money on trivial things, swear like a sailor (done!) and eat more dairy(√), sugar (√) and salty cashews (√)?  I will be Jabba the Hut with an attitude and style!  I will not envy my neighbors wife, husband, children (twits all), hybrid car (puh-leeze!), or landscape designer.  I will simply roll out of my front door, with my botoxed forehead (never), freshly manicured nails (never), expensively highlighted tresses (never), and whore-couture clothing (not intentionally). Jazzercise, schmazzersize!  I'm going to have my belly fat sucked directly into a pipeline to a deserving third world nation so that they can produce enough energy to manufacture fair-trade jewelry and sweaters, which I can then buy at a 1000% mark-up!   Additionally, I will be globally guilt-free and feel doubly wonderful about myself!
Screenshot from the film Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)


Speaking of which;  I recently asked a salesperson at the local Whole Fools Grocery store about a simple, tea-dyed, hand-knitted Croatian hemp sweater that was for sale. "$198", she replied with breathless excitement.  As my eyes widened and my jaw dropped, she quickly added, " Don't you just love how our clothes have a conscience? "  Yeah...it's good to know that inanimate objects have evolved to the point of consciousness!   I wondered if the gold ring through her nose had a feeling about its position and function.

Anyway, I am simply unmotivated to alter my finely-honed daily routine of bad behavior.  I'm increasingly irritated by the social pressures to accept the supposition that I have caused global warming!   As long as Al Gore flies around the world in his private jet, living in several multi-thousand square-foot homes and continues to drive a fleet of 4x4 SUV's, I am not going to go into debt by purchasing a hybrid automobile, use only one square of toilet tissue and stop using deodorant.  Look, I'm still darning socks and resoling my husband’s work boots!  I dig out the last bits of my lipstick, turn the heat off at night and cook all of our food from scratch.  What else do you want- bring back the rickshaw?
So here is my list of 2008 New Year’s Resolutions:


1. I will keep my resolutions at least until the next big holiday-Is Arbor Day an official holiday?
2. I will think about doing some exercise.
3. I will hope that I don't eat too much fat, sugar and salt.
4. I will try to understand my children's point-of-view (even if that requires a lobotomy or a bottle in front of me!).
5. I will attempt to get my taxes in on time.

6. I will enjoy Nature's bounty and be thankful that I even have the opportunity to make resolutions! [Photo by Carol Brandt]

So there! Cheers and good luck with your resolutions and have a happy, healthy and productive New Year! Or not...

Comments

Karin - well said! I am sorry I didn't see this until now! How did I miss it last week at Christmas! I love all your non-resolutions and the stupid pressure that is put upon us all to make us feel guilty about this-and-that related to global warming. What about global cooling? It's so dang cold and damp I can't wait for a little "warming" and for Spring to blossom and the flowers to poke up from the moldy, wet soil of wintertime. Bring on the sun! I have not made any resolutions, at least not outloud b/c you know Gregg's eyes would roll out the top of his head if he knew what I was thinking of now! :) Happy New Year 2008. I will eat more yogurt, more whole grains, less sugar (maybe), more chocolate (definetly) and I will TRY to lose those pesky 20 lbs!
Wendy said…
Hahahahahhahaha! Thanks for the laugh on this first day of 2008. I couldn't agree with you more - and Carol, you got it right, baby - it's colder than shit up here in the North State. I'd like a little global warming right now! No resolutions for me this year except maybe to smile more and worry less...thinking about skiing up at Lassen sometime in the next two or three days. Happy New Year and hugs to you, Karin (and Mark *smiles*).

Popular posts from this blog

Hey, Norman! How ‘Bout Us? by Karin Kascher

The Bitch Is Back!